In general, women are scared of ageing – no one likes the reflection of fine lines and crow’s feet staring back while looking in the mirror. The popularity of anti-ageing creams and serums among women in their 20s proves this theory. Also, botox injections and collagen fillers which help to make skin look younger and firmer is now easily available in dermatologist clinics in all major cities. However, this post is not about cosmetic procedures or injections that firm up sagging skin or smooth away fine lines and wrinkles, we have 10 effective tips to maintain a youthful appearance detailed out here.
1. Pat your skin, don’t rub: Rubbing your face, especially with scratchy and rough towels can cause small tears on the skin, triggering premature ageing from the constant tugging and pulling of the skin. Always pat your face dry with a soft cloth or face towel. When you are applying makeup, be sure to apply upwards, rather than dragging it downwards as it can cause sagging.
2. Sleep on Satin Pillows: Replace cotton pillows with silk or satin pillowcases to not only get smooth, frizz-free hair, but also to delay the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The smooth surface of satin/silk pillows prevent friction and straining of the skin and keeps skin soft and supple.
3. Wear a Sunscreen at All Times, Even While Working Before the Computer: If you are skipping sunscreen, you are underestimating the extent of damage the UV rays from sun is causing on your skin, in fact, scientists say UVA and UVB rays are responsible for approximately 90% of visible signs of ageing on your skin because they break down elastin and collagen fibers, triggering the appearance of wrinkles, sagging skin, hyperpigmentation, and age spots. Always wear a sunscreen, with at least SPF 30, and broad spectrum protection, even while indoors, and even when you are sitting in front of the computer because the blue light emitted from the computer screen can do similar damage. Also read: “10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India.”
4. Eat Nutrient-Dense Food: This is such a no brainer! Your skin will reflect what you eat. Eat a nutrient-dense diet, rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients to slow down the ageing process.
5. Mind your Sleeping Position: Sleeping on your stomach or on your face, scrunches your facial and neck muscles, creates friction on the skin, adding years to your look. The fine lines and wrinkles that you get, even after healthy lifestyle and regular skin care can be attributed to improper sleeping style. Hence it’s best to sleep on your back, for better posture and to delay signs of ageing.
6. Text Smarter: Surprised to see this tip, right? We are always continuously looking down at our computer as well as phone screens. Bad posture, always sitting in a slouching position, will create neck lines earlier than they should appear, in short, it will lead to sagging of skin around neck area which will make you look decades older.
7. Exercise: This is a no-brainer! Exercise not only keeps your body fit, it keeps your skin youthful as well. Exercise also improves blood circulation which nourishes body cells and clears away free radicals.
8. Moisturize: Moisturizing will prevent your skin from dryness which will further keep it looking smooth, supple and younger, so a good moisturizer which suits your skin type is a must to include in your skin care regimen.
9. Use Retinoid Creams: Retinoid creams help your body produce more collagen to make you look younger by getting rid of wrinkles, acne, age spots and many other signs of ageing. So you can include any retinoid-based cream in your skin care routine which suits your skin type.
10. Sleep for 7 Hours Every Single Day: They call it beauty sleep for a reason! When you sleep for 6-to-8 hours each night, your body produces more growth hormones to keep your skin supple and elastic, reduces stress hormone which damages the skin, and makes more collagen which keeps skin looking younger.
And oh, do not forget to drink at least 2 liters of water every day to hydrate your skin from within and to flush out toxins as well.