Everybody talks about giving up fried snacks and all forms of carbs when trying to lose weight; however, there are certain food items that have absolutely no place on your plate. Ideally, your plate should have one protein source (fish/chicken for non-vegetarians and beans/nuts/legumes/dal for vegetarians), one vegetable, one whole grain, and one fiber rich food during each meal. A portion of fruit is also recommended and not to forget, a tiny source of healthy fats. Also, switching to a smaller-sized plate, not more than 10 inches in size, would help control portion sizes. Continuing on the same line, maintaining a calorie deficit is of prime importance when trying to lose weight, nutrition is of greater significance and equally essential to delve and explore the source of those calories. For example, 500 calories of doughnuts would not nourish your body the same way as eating 500 calories of vegetables. So, eating right and eating healthy should be your primary focus when trying to lose weight and we at Rati Beauty believe that the right kind of food on the plate will only lead to successful weight loss. In this post, 10 Food Items That Have No Place on your Plate if you Want to Lose Weight.
1. White Bread and Jam: Most of us have shrunk the hearty English breakfast to just bread and jam, and trust us, these two food items should never be a staple on your plate. White carbs are bad and so is white bread. So, does that mean you should skip white bread completely? Well, white bread isn’t good for weight loss, so you should look for breads that contain whole wheat or whole grains in them. You should 100% whole grain, 100% whole wheat breads, or and each slice should have at least 3 grams of fiber and less than 3 gm of sugar. Find out “What is the Best Bread To Eat For Weight Loss” in this post.
2. Instant Noodles: Made with refined flour, with no fiber or nutrients, they are all about empty calories and too many of them. Instant noodles can be comfort food for many, but it’s not good for weight loss at all.
3. Antibiotic-Laden Chicken: No doubt chicken is a good source of protein for non-vegetarians, but do make sure that protein source is antibiotic free because FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently raised concerns about the use of antibiotics in poultry animals to make animals put on weight more quickly and a rapid rate, but these antibiotics have the same kind of an effect on us humans as well, and lead to obesity. Additionally, chicken fed on antibiotics can alter the gut microbiome, leading to a host of health issues and triggering antibiotic resistance. Do make sure your protein source is certified antibiotic free.
4. White Pasta: Switch to whole wheat pasta instead. Whole wheat pasta has comparatively more fiber content and is low in calories too.
5. Cookies/Doughnuts: The main ingredient in cookies, cakes, doughnuts – you guessed it right! It’s refined flour or maida, and as we all know, it’s extremely unhealthy, for your gut, for your overall health, and would set you back on your weight loss goals. For all of you, who are trying to lose weight, we have researched about some healthy flour options that you can replace all-purpose flour or maida with in baking.
6. Flavoured Greek yogurt: Though we might think it as a good source of probiotics, flavoured Greek yogurt are also loaded with artificial color, flavour, preservatives, and heaps of added sugar.
8. Packaged Cereals: Stop having packaged cereals as breakfast, switch to traditional Indian breakfasts, as mentioned on the Rati Beauty weight loss diets. It’s much better to start your day with a nutritious homemade breakfast to speed up metabolism and to pump nutrients into the body, all of which are extremely important for weight loss.
9. Mayonnaise: It’s high in calories and made mostly of oils, rapidly building up extra pounds in the body.
10. White Rice: White rice is a polished food, with low level of nutrients that have been lost during the polishing process and what you get is a large chunk of refined carbs that can get your weight up, when you consume it without any sort of portion control and with complete lack of physical activity. Since refined grains such as white rice go through the digestion process quickly with their low fiber content, rapid insulin spike takes place, and insulin creates new fat cells, which eventually leads to weight gain and obesity. As an alternative, you can check out this list of 11 Healthy Alternatives for White Rice for Weight Loss.