Only a few people realize that poor nutrition is also a major reason behind weight gain. Filling meal plates with cheap an empty calories (via fast/junk food) can make a person deficient in nutrients that are essential not only to live a healthy life, but also to lose weight because they boost metabolism and are needed to metabolize fat. As we have mentioned above, until a few years ago, overeating and lack of physical activity were considered as the main reasons behind obesity. It’s not right to fix hunger with empty calories when you are trying to lose weight. While slashing calories, you have to absolutely make sure that you are cutting out empty calories and make room for nutrient-dense foods. Junk/fast food is high in sodium, sugar, transfat, and pack loads of calories which would be hard to burn at the end of the day. Switch to clean and healthy eating, follow the Rati Beauty diet, and add these nutrients to your diet to see effective results.
1. Protein: Many fitness instructors, health experts, and dieticians recommend keeping your protein level high in order to lose weight. When you consume protein, it increases the levels of the satiety hormones, reduces your appetite thereby also reducing the hunger hormone. In this post, you would find a list of “17 Cheapest Protein Sources at the Grocery Store.”
2. Copper: This mineral is essential in fat metabolism. Copper helps to absorb iron, develop connective tissue and support the immune system. It is also essential for breaking down fat cells so that they can be used for energy. More fat molecules are broken down with adequate copper in the body.
3. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin which is found in two variants – vitamin D2 and D3. Vitamin D2 comes from plant sources such as yeast and fungi whereas vitamin D3 is available from animal sources and our body makes vitamin D3 with the help of sunlight. It promotes healthy bones and teeth. Boosts immune system, fights infection, is important for skeletal development. Additionally, it boosts metabolism, prevents production of fat cells and helps repair cells and muscles – all adding up to lose weight.
4. B Vitamins: The B group of vitamins are essential to run the metabolic processes in the body smoothly and helps break down carbohydrates apart from boosting metabolism.
5. Iodine: Iodine is an absolutely essential mineral whose deficiency can impair thyroid function and hamper metabolism. Make it a point to switch to iodine-rich salt to bring the metabolism back on track.
6. Chromium: Chromium is a trace mineral that has not gotten its due importance in weight loss and health circles yet. Unknown to many, this trace element in its trivalent form is needed by the human body in micro amounts to run various important bodily functions and therefore chromium deficiency can impair a lot of functions including the inability to lose weight. We already know that insulin resistance is a major roadblock that can hamper weight loss and when the diet lacks the required chromium, it predisposes a person to develop insulin resistance. Read how “How Chromium Rich Food Helps with Weight Loss.”
7. Iron: Iron helps in burning fat in your body as it helps in carrying oxygen. Iron can be found in green leafy vegetables like spinach. Other sources are meat, shell fish, etc. Consuming vitamin C helps in absorption of iron in the body. This is the reason why doctors advice to take iron tablets with a glass full of orange juice.
8. Vitamin C: Adding vitamin C to your diet helps in increasing your metabolism. Strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes, oranges are all good sources of vitamin C. Try introducing a glass of orange and gooseberry juice daily in your diet or may be a salad as a starter for your lunch and dinner.
9. Calcium: There are a whole lot of things that calcium can do and one of those things will get you mighty interested – calcium can help burn fat and that too belly fat!
10. Manganese: Manganese is a trace mineral that contributes to several bodily functions, including metabolism. Make sure you have enough manganese in your daily diet.
Being on a calorie-deficit diet, exercising regularly, having sound sleep and stress management will help you to get rid of extra flab in the body.