When trying to lose weight, our goal should to be target body fat while preserving muscle mass, otherwise instead of looking toned and lean, one may look loose and saggy. Crash dieting is therefore not advisable since you lose majorly water weight and muscle mass, instead of actually burning fat. Body fat mainly comprises of subcutaneous and visceral fat – the former is fat stored under the skin and visceral fat is layers of adipose tissue around the abdominal cavity and internal organs. In fact, one should never aim at going zero fat because certain amount of fat – around 3 to 5% in men and 10 to 15% in women is absolutely essential for survival. In fact, fat percentage below 32% for women and below 25% for men is generally considered normal. And going above these “normal” percentages can predispose one to obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and even stroke. Therefore, it not only is important to lower body fat to look and feel lighter and healthier, it’s also deemed necessary to prevent life-threatening disorders. That’s why in this post, we list down ways in which you can lower body fat percentage fast.
Why “Fat” is Essential?
All our body cells have some amount of fat in them, and interestingly, the brain is made of 60% fat. An optimum amount of feet is needed to relay signals through the body and for production of hormones. Our body switches to fat as an alternative source of energy when carbs run low. Fat also maintains the core temperature and keeps the body warm. Fat is absolutely necessary for the absorption of vitamins such as A, D, and E because these are fat-soluble vitamins. Fats such as omega-3 fatty acids strengthen the heart and reduces inflammation in the body. Looking at all these benefits, we should have a healthy amount percentage of fat in the body.
However, as mentioned above, keeping body fat percentage at optimum level is advisable to feel lighter, look leaner, and prevent a lot of diseases. So, here are some ways to lower body fat percentage.
10 Ways To Lower Body Fat Percentage Fast:
1. Maintain a Healthy Calorie Deficit: When a calorie deficit is created, our body starts sourcing energy from stored fat. Most usually, it’s the fat that is stored around hips, belly, thighs, and arms. When you cut down calories from dietary sources, the fat deposits get used up and that’s how you lose weight. For example, when you consume 1500 calories in a day and burn 2000 calories through exercise and being active for most part of the day, you are in calorie deficit. Want more insights? Read about “18 Awesome Tips to Create Calorie Deficit to Lose Weight” in this post.
2. Increase Protein Intake: When you consume enough protein, it increases the levels of the fullness hormone “leptin,” curbs appetite, burns more calories, and most importantly, helps to build lean muscle. Do check out various weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app to increase your protein intake and lose weight.
3. Combine Strength Training with HIIT: Exercise is absolutely necessary for weight loss and to lower fat percentage. Moderate intensity exercise combined with strength training, and HIIT (high intensity interval training) exercises are highly recommended. Most importantly, with HIIT routine, your body continues to burn calories because of increased oxygen consumption, keeping up the metabolism high all through the day. You would be surprised to know that you can burn up to 100 calories per hour for 24 hours after a 30-minute HIIT workout. HIIT also boosts enzymes that are responsible for fat burning and also decrease levels of fat-producing enzymes. HIIT exercises are great for women because they burn more fat and calories in less time. Here is a list of 7 Minute Fat Burning HIIT Exercises That you can Do at Home.
4. Get Rid of Bad Carbs: People who eat too many carbs and that too bad carbs in their daily diet have difficulty reaching out to stored fat because the body burns the carbs available through diet for energy and fuel primarily and does not reach out to glycogen and fat deposits. Refined carbs cause sharp blood sugar spikes and the body quickly releases more and more insulin to bring the blood sugar down. Apart from regulating blood sugar, the hormone “insulin,” which is also a fat-storage hormone, triggers creation of new fat cells to store all the extra carbs that have been converted into fat droplets, particularly around the tummy, hip, and thigh area. Avoid refined carbs and switch to complex carbs instead.
5. Drink Loads of Water: All of us should be drinking more than 8 glasses of water to avoid unnecessary food cravings, to feel full, and to mobilize stored fat.
6. Never Crash Diet: Do not skimp up on calories because when you lower too many calories, the body would start breaking down muscle along with fat for energy. Check out various weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app instead.
7. Cut out Junk and Processed Food: Fat loss can be an uphill task without cutting out junk/processed food because of their high sugar, transfat, and unhealthy fat content. Here are “18 Effective Tips to Beat Cravings for Indian Junk Food.”
8. Boost Metabolism To Burn More Calories: When someone’s metabolism is good and robust, it means they are burning more calories, even at rest. If someone can eat all they want and still ward off any weight gain, their robust metabolism probably needs all the credit. A minimum amount of calories is required per day to run all the body functions smoothly, and when you drop the supply of essential calories, the body lowers metabolism in order to save energy. It’s important to keep metabolism high, in order to lose weight steadily, and here are “21 Tricks to Boost your Metabolism.”
9. Lower Stress: Losing weight itself can be a stressful process, but chronic stress is a major factor that prevents weight loss because it can increase the level of a hormone called cortisol which leads to weight gain. One key tip to shed those extra pounds is to worry less about situations and stay carefree about the same. Don’t make losing weight a job to do, make it a hobby or passion. This will change your outlook towards it and cause less stress inside your mind. Here are some effective ways to lose weight by lowering stress.
10. Be Active Throughout the Day/Taking 10,000 steps each day: If you can manage 10,000 steps each day, you can lose up to one pound each week! So, get on your feet and count each step!
We hope you would include these tips in order to burn fat and lower body fat percentage.