Fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, sagging skin – these are some words women absolutely dread and that’s because they are signs of ageing and though we all would like to “age gracefully,” – we would still like to retain that youthful glow and radiance for as long as we can. Pollution, sun exposure, wrong dietary practices are a few reasons why the skin starts to show signs of ageing much earlier, and it’s called premature ageing. And you would be surprised to know that certain habits can ruin your youthful glow and make your skin age faster. It is important to identify these habits and avoid indulging the same to delay ageing. In this post, we list down 12 habits that accelerate premature ageing and what to do about them.
1. Skipping Sunscreen: Often we tend to underestimate the damaging effects that UV rays from the sun have on our skin. We often skip sunscreen application thinking only a short exposure to the sun may not do much damage. However, if you have started noticing fine lines, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone – ask whether you are wearing sunscreen diligently every time you step out of the house? So, sunscreen with high SPF, broad spectrum protection, scarf/umbrella are must-haves while stepping out. Check out this list of “10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India.”
2. Living a Sedentary Lifestyle: Have you heard this – “sitting is the new smoking!” Many studies have confirmed that leading an inactive lifestyle accelerates the ageing process; in fact, women who lead a sedentary lifestyle have faster ageing cells than women who exercise regularly and on a consistent basis. So, if you are a self-confessed couch potato, expect fine lines and wrinkles to show up much sooner.
3. Using Harsh Cleansers: Always use gentle cleansers that do not disrupt the delicate pH balance of the skin to avoid wrinkles. Also, scrubbing with harsh exfoliators and scrub can irritate skin and damage the skin, causing wrinkles and fine lines.
4. Smoking: Whether you love to puff cigarette smoke yourself or you let your skin absorb the ill-effects of passive smoking, the fact remains that your skin is at danger. The smoke of cigarettes spurs the process of ageing as your skin gets dry, gets depleted of vitamin C, and is at a higher risk of developing wrinkles.
5. Consuming Alcohol on a Regular Basis: Do cut down alcohol intake to keep your skin glowing and young.
6. Lack of Adequate Sleep: It is important that you sleep at least 8 hours every day. Avoid being a nocturnal creature and go to bed on time. If you ignore the significance of sleep, you end up having dark circles, tired-looking eyes, puffy eye bags, and the body would not be able to repair cells efficiently, and when all these factors come together, you look no more the young woman you are.
7. Not Drinking Enough Water: Water is the best gift of nature and drinking this elixir of life would keep your skin plump and hydrated. Your body would be free from toxins and your skin would look forever young.
8. Over-indulgence in Junk Food: Fast food items, with the high level of transfat play an important role in adding years to your skin and health. Zits pop up, face feels greasy, cell metabolism is affected, digestive system is ruined and your skin feels dull and lacklustre. The inflammation caused by having these foods on a regular basis is the reason your skin is lacking a youthful glow.
9. Not Consuming a Nutrient-Dense Diet: Your skin shows what you eat. If you avoid having fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-dense food, the body and skin wouldn’t get the nourishment it deserves. What happens as a result? You get leathery, dull skin and the free-radicals wreck havoc on your skin. In short, your skin starts to get a flavor of premature ageing. Moreover, crash diets too are a strict no-no. If you are trying to lose weight, do not even think about crash dieting because it would rob your skin of youthfulness, instead try the Rati Beauty diet which helps you lose weight by eating a balanced diet, rich in nutrition.
10. Not Using the Right Skincare Products: We want to look good and yet hate the idea of investing some time in maintaining skin health. Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing should be there in your regular skincare program. Invest in good skincare products from reputed brands, that have been particularly formulated for your skin type. Pamper your skin with natural anti-oxidant masks, hydrating masks. Try to avoid the use of face washes and other products that contain parabens and SLS. Also, always remember to remove makeup before going to sleep.
11. Having Too Much Sugar On a Daily Basis: Cutting down sugar will have an amazing reaction on your skin because insulin spikes caused by high refined sugar in the body causes inflammation of skin which leads to premature ageing, wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone. If you want to look 10 years younger, then the first thing you should do is eliminate sugar from your system. Sugar in the bloodstream leads to a process called “glycation,” in which sugar molecules damage the collagen and elastin (responsible for suppleness and firmness) in our skin. Cutting down glucose will eliminate insulin spikes which will eventually lower down inflammation of the skin and you can get your youthful glow back within two weeks. So, when you cut back on sugar, you can say bye bye to acne and wrinkles for as long as you want. Also read: “What Would Happen if you Stop Eating Sugar For 15 Days?”
12. Using Fragrance in Skincare: Just like parabens, phthalates, and sulfates – “fragrance,” which is often added by skincare brands to increase the appeal of their products or to mask the unpleasant smell of active ingredients, is usually extracted from synthetic chemicals, and can irritate skin, penetrate into the skin and alter hormones, and fasten up the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Do invest in fragrance-free skincare products, whether it’s sunscreen, moisturizer, serum or anti-ageing products to avoid skin irritation and damage.
Now, that you know the habits that age your faster, make sure that you do exactly the opposite of what the pointers say. In short, use proper sun protection, don’t live a sedentary life, exercise, don’t smoke, avoid alcohol at all costs, get adequate sleep, drink enough water, refrain from fast food, eat fruits and vegetables and never forget a proper skin care regimen to delay skin ageing.