There’s one factor that can demotivate you from stepping on to weighing scale apart from when you know you have faulted on diet, and yes, we are talking about water retention, which can absolutely prevent weighing scales from tipping in your favour. Water retention occurs when excess fluid builds up inside the body and make you appear like an expanded balloon. Water retention occurs in the circulatory system or within cavities and tissues. Most common symptoms include swelling of hands, feet, ankles, and legs. There are various reasons why it occurs and mostly it’s nothing serious. Some women experience water retention during pregnancy or before their monthly periods. Water retention is most common in people who are physically inactive or those who spend sitting through for long hours in flights/office etc. However, in some people water retention can be a symptom of a severe medical condition like kidney disease or heart failure. But if you have no underlying medical condition, it may be primarily because of bad dietary habits, and that’s why switching to a good weight loss diet such as on Rati Beauty app is important. Also, you may be able to reduce water retention with homemade remedies such as these:
1. Limit your salt intake: Love salty food and crispy chips? This might punch your heart! Salt is made of chloride and sodium. Sodium has a job, it binds the water in the body and helps maintain the balance of fluids both inside and outside of cells. If you eat meals that are high in salt, such as processed foods, your body will retain more water. In fact, processed, packaged, and canned foods are the biggest source of sodium. The most common advice for reducing water retention is to reduce sodium intake.
2. Add Potassium-Rich Foods in your diet: Potassium is a mineral that aids in several important functions. It aids in healthy functioning of heart. Potassium helps to reduce water retention in two simple ways, by reducing sodium levels and increasing urine production. Say hello to frequent visits! Potassium rich foods includes bananas, tomatoes, avocados.
3. Drink Green Tea: Green tea is a natural diuretic, it is an ideal treatment for combating fluid retention problems. Results show that drinking green tea regularly can reduce body fat by up to 19 percent. Bonus- green tea’s caffeine level aids in weight loss. You can drink my green tea twice a day, consuming more than that is not advised.
4. Stay Away from Refined Carbs: Eating refined carbs can rapidly spike the blood sugar and insulin levels. High insulin levels cause the body to retain more sodium by increasing the reabsorption of sodium in the kidneys, which leads to more fluid volume inside the body. Perfect example of refined carbs are processed sugars and grains, such as table sugar and white flour. Pizza, donuts, burgers, cakes, chocolate filled cookies – basically everything you love!
5. Ginger tea: Ginger has natural diuretic properties and can reduce fluid retention and help with weight loss. Enjoy ginger tea with a slice of lemon and a face mask! Aren’t they the perfect combo? You’re welcome!
6. Move around: Try walking, jogging or even running! Moving around can be effective in reducing those extra fluids in areas like lower limbs. Elevate your feet because it may also help in reducing water.
7. Eat Fennel Seeds: Now you know why fennel seeds are served after meals in Indian restaurants? They have diuretic effects. Eat fennel seeds after meals or boil a few seeds in water to make fennel tea!
8. Drink Plenty of Water: Doctors recommend to drink more water; it may sound strange but increasing water intake can paradoxically reduce water retention. H20 is the solution for every problem!
9. Apple Cider Vinegar: The potassium in apple cider vinegar helps to get rid of water retention, just remember to dilute it with enough water.
10. Dandelion Tea: This type of brewed tea acts as a natural diuretic and reduces bloating and water retention, and get rid of unwanted fluid buildup.
11. Cucumber Water: High in potassium content, it rehydrates body and along with lemon can also detox the body.
12. Watermelon Juice: Watermelon is a water-dense fruit with low glycemic load with high potassium content as well as citrulline which reduces water retention.
However, if water retention still persists, then it’s best to see a doctor. Till then, stay fit and get lean with weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app.