Women would nod in agreement that frizzy hair makes every day a bad hair day. Many women blame it on the natural texture of their hair and the climate, well that’s not the case. With the right hair care and the right products for your hair, anyone can flaunt smooth, shiny and frizz-free locks. And natural remedies work really well to smoothen frizzy hair and here are some natural ways to soften frizzy hair.
1. Hot Oil Massage: Oils don’t just nourish but also moisturizes your hair, giving you healthy, smooth and frizz-free hair. Nothing is better than a hot oil treatment, once a week, for all your hair related problems. You can use any oil of your choice. My favourite oils are coconut oil and argan oil as these two work wonders for curly hair. You can also use almond oil, jojoba oil and olive oil. Warm the oil and massage it onto your scalp for about 15 minutes.
2. Turban Therapy: A turban therapy is more like getting a hair spa at home at zero cost. All you need to do is, after the hot oil massage, wrap a hot towel around your head and include all of your hair in that wrap. You can warm the towel by soaking it in hot water and then wringing out the excess water. Keep the towel wrapped for around 30 minutes, and wash your hair using your regular shampoo.
3. Mayonnaise Treatment: Mayonnaise is, in fact, one of the best masks to treat frizzy and dry hair. It gives your hair an extra layer of moisture, thus helping to control frizzy hair effectively. You can apply mayonnaise alone or mix it with 1 egg and any hair oil of your choice. Make a smooth paste and apply evenly all over your hair and scalp. Keep it for about 20 minutes and wash off with your regular shampoo.
4. Yogurt and Honey Mask: This is one of my go-to mask for healthy looking, smooth and frizz-free hair. This mask works like any deep conditioning treatment would. It helps in retaining moisture and also acts as an emollient. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with about half a cup or 1 cup yogurt depending on the volume and length of your hair. Apply evenly over your hair and scalp and wash off after 30 minutes.
5. Beer Rinse: Weird as it may sound to many of you, beer is actually good for your hair. It not only helps to retain moisture but also makes your hair shiny and smooth. Shampoo and condition your hair like you normally do. And then, rinse your hair with beer. Take care to coat all the hair with beer generously. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off again with cold water.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: Apple cider vinegar or simple vinegar, both are an amazing rinse for your hair as they balance out the pH level of your hair, and also helps in retaining moisture by closing cuticles. Vinegar also prevents the build-up of dirt and grease. The only drawback is that vinegar is smelly. Apple cider vinegar does not smell, so most people recommend using that. However, if you do not have that, you can use regular vinegar and mix it with strained tea to remove the smell. Remember, tea also works like an amazing conditioner for your hair.
7. Aloe Vera Gel Application: Aloe vera gel is one of the best-known masks for frizzy hair. It forms a protective layer over the cuticles of the hair, thus minimizing moisture loss. Aloe vera is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce the itchiness of scalp. It also treats dandruff and hair loss. It brings back lustre to hair and promotes hair growth.
8. Coconut Oil and Egg Mask: I am sure that most of your mother’s or grandmother’s secrets to gorgeous hair include these two ingredients. Coconut oil acts as an excellent hair conditioner. It also promotes hair growth. While, eggs are rich in collagen, calcium, phosphorus, selenium and vitamins A, D, E, K and B6. As the hair is mainly made up of protein, eggs help strengthens the hair follicles.
9. Banana Mask: Bananas are great for hair conditioning, especially when combined with honey. Don’t we love most of the banana shampoos and conditioners available in the market? So, why not make the banana and honey mask yourself at minimum cost? For this, mash 1 banana and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Make sure that the banana has been made into a fine paste, or otherwise the clumps will stick into your hair and that will unnecessarily aggravate problems.
10. Vitamin E: Vitamin E is great for hair. You can include taking vitamin E capsules in your routine. Or, you can add vitamin E oil to your regular hair oil for added benefits. Vitamin E prevents hair fall, breakage of hair follicles and promotes healthy, shiny and frizz-free hair.
11. Coconut Milk: Coconut milk also acts as an excellent deep conditioner for hair. It moisturizes and nourishes your hair, making it strong, smooth, shiny and frizz-free. Heat coconut milk until warm. Apply this to your hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. Follow up with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
12. Avocado, Coconut Oil, and Honey Mask: It’s a good mask to restore damaged hair. Avocado and coconut oil are rich in fatty acids and honey adds oodles of moisture. Take half an avocado, and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and also 2 tbsp of honey to it. Mix well. Apply on the scalp and hair, keep for 1 hour, and rinse away with normal water.
With these 12 natural ways, you can flaunt the hair of your dreams.