Do raise your hands if you think belly fat is the stubbornest to lose and it refuses to budge even with strict dieting and exercising. Belly fat can be categorized as subcutaneous fat (layer beneath the skin) and visceral fat (around the muscles and around abdominal organs). Out of these two, visceral fat is considered a health risk because it predisposes you to develop type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and other life-threatening disorders. However, both these types can prevent you from flaunting a snatched waist and slimmer waistline and that’s because belly fat, especially lower tummy fat, is extremely resistant to the fat-burning process. However, don’t give up yet on dreaming about a slimmer waist because there are still amazing aways to lose fat from lower tummy, and read about them here:
1. Follow a Good Weight Loss Diet: It’s a fact that one cannot spot reduce belly fat. Do follow the 80/20 rule with 80% importance on diet and 20% on exercise. Weight loss would only materialize by maintaining a calorie deficit – taking in fewer calories than one can burn. It goes without saying that if there’s no deficit, no fat burning would happen, especially belly fat. Also, do exercise helps to boost metabolism, develop muscles, and tone the whole body, which would not happen with diet alone. Check out the weight loss diet programs on Rati Beauty app for more details on how to lose overall weight and melt the belly fat.
2. Avoid Refined Sugar: Excess sugar triggers a lot of undesirable effects in the body and can cause hormonal changes, insulin resistance that encourages storage of fat around the abdominal area. If there is an excess amount of sugar in your blood, insulin and other hormones would convert those sugar molecules into glycogen or fat, predominantly around the belly region. Once you go without sugar for 15 days, along with regular exercise and dieting, slim waist is in store for you
3. Avoid Transfat Completely: Transfat is complete no-no for people who are on a diet because studies have revealed that transfat can actually move fat from other areas of the body to the belly area! Transfat is artificially made from vegetable oils by a process called hydrogenation where hydrogen molecules are added to the oil. This is done to increase the shelf life of the oil, to solidy the oil, and make it more appetizing and suitable for frying. Also, transfat is an inexpensive way to add taste to the oil, but this process is extremely harmful to the human body due to the high proportion of LDL (bad cholesterol) which can wreak havoc in the body and puts one at the risk of developing morbid diseases like type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Transfat food is commonly found in fried food, packaged baked items, even margarine. Transfat is one of the reasons why you are not losing weight even with exercise. Read about 15 Transfat Food Items you Should Avoid for Weight Loss.
4. Increase Intake of Protein-Rich Food: Protein accelerates the whole weight loss process by boosting metabolism, curbing appetite, raising thermogenic effect, and all of this leads to burning of fat from all over, including belly area. Here’s the list of 17 Cheapest Protein Sources at the Grocery Store.
5. HIIT: With no workout equipment at home, HIIT exercises, or high intensity interval training, are your best bet to lose weight, especially from the waist area. Even after you have finished HIIT routine, your body continues to burn calories because of increased oxygen consumption, keeping up the metabolism high all through the day. You would be surprised to know that you can burn up to 100 calories per hour for 24 hours after a 30-minute HIIT workout. HIIT also boosts enzymes that are responsible for fat burning and also decrease levels of fat-producing enzymes. HIIT exercises are great for busy women because they burn more fat and calories in less time. Here is a list of some Fat-Burning HIIT Exercises That you can Do at Home that would hardly take 7 minutes.
6. Strengthen the Core: Squats, sit ups, planks are some of the most common exercises that strengthen the core and tone the abdominal muscles, giving definition to your core area. Crunch chop, mountain climbers, flutter kicks, frog crunches, knee to elbow kickbacks, rope climb crunches, knee hugs, half knee diagonal chops, planks with side tap outs, straight arm twist resistors, body saws, bridges with alternating leg extension can all tone your abs and give you flat belly if done regularly.
7. Planks: No ab routine to flatten belly is complete without planks. This relatively easy-to-do exercise can strengthen the core, tone the abs, and burn the belly fat. To do a side plank, lie on your side with your elbow supporting your upper body. Now, lift your hips off of the floor and hold this position for about 30 seconds. Keep your spine in a straight line the entire time. Repeat the exercise for three sets of 30 seconds on each side.
8. Practice Naukasana: Yoga poses such as naukasana target the abs, increase metabolism, and boost the fat-burning process from the tummy area.
9. Say yes to Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are a group of polyunsaturated fatty acids which are necessary for normal and smooth functioning of body functions and for improving metabolism. Omega-3 fatty acid rich food also promotes fat burning, especially belly fat. It also helps to decrease production of stress hormone “cortisol,” which is strongly linked with fat storage.
10. Cut Down Stress: Here’s an interesting study, chronic stress can actually increase abdominal fat in women who are otherwise slim overall. Excess cortisol (stress hormone) can trigger the storage of fat around the abdominal area. The stress hormone, cortisol, strongly affects fat distribution, triggering a majority of it to be stored around the mid region. Cut down stress with these techniques to lose weight successfully.
11. Work to Reduce Inflammation Level: Researchers have found strong links between inflammation and belly fat and vice versa. Read in detail “Why Inflammation Might be the Reason you are Not Losing Weight.”
12. Avoid Liquid Calories: Fruits are healthy whereas fruit juices are high on sugar and lose their fiber content. Moreover, it’s not easy to keep track of calories when they come in juice and beverage forms. In fact, liquid calories get easily digested, and soon, you would be craving for more food, and in that way, would be adding more calories to the diet. Always eat your fruit raw and in the fresh form.