Green leafy vegetables (almost all of them) are probably one of the most weight-loss friendly veggies in the world. Also, one of the most effective weight loss tips to feel fuller and maintain a calorie deficit, is to fill half of your plate with veggies, and if those vegetables are green leafy things, there’s nothing like it! Most green leafy vegetables are rich sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein, and fiber, that form essential components of a healthy diet. Leafy greens are great for everyone, from kids to adults to the elderly, and of course, for people who want to lose weight as well with their low calorie, high nutrient content, along with metabolism-boosting properties. They not only help with weight loss, they also prevent weight gain as well. Kale and chard leaves are considered as superfoods in the west, but here in India, we have abundant green leafy vegetables with much more superior nutrient content, and available at extremely low price. Dear people who are trying to lose weight, you can eat as much leafy greens as you want, without getting into a calorie deficit, and here we are, with a list of 14 Best Leafy Green Vegetables to Boost Weight Loss.
Benefits of Eating Leafy Greens in a Weight Loss Diet:
1. Low in calories.
2. Powerhouse of nutrients – vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, just to mention a few.
3. Low fat content.
4. Rich in iron, good for anemics.
5. Boosts metabolism.
6. Easy to digest.
7. Rich in trace minerals like manganese, copper, chromium, magnesium, etc.
8. Does not cause sharp spikes in blood sugar level.
14 Best Leafy Green Vegetables to Boost Weight Loss:
1. Spinach: It’s probably the most popular leafy green in India. Spinach, is a rich source of “thylakoids,” that have been found to suppress appetite and reduce the level of “ghrelin” (the hunger hormone). Thylakoids prevent insulin spike and also storage of fat in the body. Spinach is also a rich source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin A, C, and other trace minerals as well.
2. Purslane/Kulfa/Lunia: This is one of the most underrated leafy vegetable considering it has high nutrition and weight loss benefits. The antioxidant compound “betalain” and carotenoids also are found abundantly in purslane. It has very high levels of omega-3 fatty acids along with fiber and vitamins like A, B C, D iron and other trace minerals like magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium and copper.
3. Celery: Scores of people vouch for the efficacy of celery juice in weight loss. Celery juice is credited with detoxifying properties, also helping with reducing inflammation. Here’s how you can make a detox drink with celery. Ingredients required: 1 cucumber, 4 celery stalks, 2 apples, 5-8 kale leaves, 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, lemon juice. Make a smoothie with all these ingredients. Strain the juice if you don’t favor the heavy smoothie.
4. Kale: Kale is one of the healthiest veggie available and it can benefit your body in several ways. Due to the high content of fibre and antioxidants present in kale, it can help to cut down the extra fats in the body. Also, due to a high level of water content present in the kale, it helps to keep your body hydrated and cool on hot summer days.
5. Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is also known as nature’s finest medicine because it has abundant goodness to offer. Often underestimated, it is a powerhouse of nutrients with 8 gm of protein and dietary fiber in a single strand. It also contains a good amount of vitamins like A, C and minerals like iron and calcium. The best part is that improves overall health and helps with weight loss as well. Read “How to Consume Wheatgrass For Weight Loss.”
6. Moringa: The leaves of moringa tree have been used in traditional medicine since ancient times and why not, it’s a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. High in protein, iron, zinc, copper, it has also been found to encourage fat burning along with boosting metabolism.
7. Coriander: Quercetin, which is a strong antioxidant, is thought to boost metabolism and mobilize fat to be used up as energy, and it is abundantly found in coriander leaves.
8. Kale: It’s an extremely weight-loss friendly food and a lot of people include it in their detox juices. Kale is a nutrient-rich, water-dense green food that also has fiber which also suppresses appetite. Here’s the recipe of Kale and Spinach Smoothie that you could try – This one is the perfect concoction of all the healthy greens that you need in your diet. You will need some kale leaves, some spinach leaves, some lemon juice, an apple and a little bit of honey (if you’d like to add some sweetness to the drink). Blend in all the ingredients together to enjoy this super nutritious green shake. If you would like to add a spicy twist to this beverage, you could try adding in some pepper, some black salt and some Tabasco or chilli sauce to the mixture (before blending).
9. Lettuce: Rich in fiber and fat, low in calories, nobody ever gained weight with lettuce in their sandwiches.
10. Fenugreek/Methi Leaves: This one is a delicious way to boost metabolism since it is packed with antioxidants, fiber, and can be used in different ways to flavour up Indian dishes; methi parantha, methi dal are just a few examples.
11. Poi Saag/Malabar Spinach/Basella Alba: These soft leaves rich in fiber, antioxidants, minerals, help with weight loss by boosting metabolism.
12. Amaranth/Chaulai: Though Amaranth seeds are quite popular, amaranth leaves which are available in a wide variety of colors, from green to dark red, they have not received their due credit as a superfood. Rich in vitamin A, C, K, B vitamins and minerals such as potassium, protein, lysine, zinc, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, antioxidants, they can do a whole lot of good for overall health as well.
13. Sarson/Mustard Leaves: The quintessential Punjabi dish which makes a great combination with makki ki roti can start a drool fest in your mouth and the amazing thing about sarson ka saag is along with its high nutritional content, it is also extremely flavourful!
14. Watercress/Jalkumbhi: Watercress leaves prevent oxidative damage to body cells, it is a nutrient-rich vegetable, extremely low in calories that can be added to soups and salads to add flavour.
Summing up, to lose weight, one needs to eat a healthy diet and not stay off food. Do check out the weight loss diet plans on the Rati Beauty app that help you lose weight by eating the right kind of food.