Every other day, there’s always a reason to celebrate and many more reasons to party, and whether you are partying hard with friends or having a family get-together, food and that too plenty of it, is at the epicenter. But the problem is if you are on a weight loss diet, such as on Rati Beauty, and have seen a considerable drop in kgs on the weighing scale, jeopardizing all that progress by hitting the party scene can be a nightmare. If you have to hit the party shindig over the coming few days and have lost your sleep on how to avoid food cravings and stay away delicious goodies such as pizza, cheese balls, and all those sweets, don’t fret, we are here to help on how to party hard without going overboard. Don’t think about becoming a social pariah just because you are trying to lose some extra fat – enjoy and have a gala time with your friends and family without feeling guilty how all that unhealthy food has derailed your diet. Since the food at parties is usually high in calories, unhealthy fat, and loads of sugar, it’s quite difficult to count calories and show restraint around delicious food. And amid distractions and chatter, it’s extremely possible to overeat and fall into a calorie surplus, leading to weight gain. In this post, we share some tips for sticking to your weight loss diet while partying.
14 Tips for Sticking to your Weight Loss Diet While Partying:
1. Don’t Arrive at the Party Hungry and Famished: Don’t save all your calories till the end of the day because your body doesn’t work like a bank, and if you go the party after fasting for the whole day, you would most likely show gluttony and gulp down all food that’s available. Also, it doesn’t help the weight loss cause that most parties run late into the night. Stick to regular meal and snack schedules, and eat an apple, banana or any other low-glycemic fruit (check the list here) before going to the party. Have an apple with peanut butter or a slice of whole-wheat toast with almond butter. A tub of unflavoured Greek yogurt will also do.
2. Eat a High-Protein Snack Before Going to the Party: Eat a high-protein snack 15 minutes before going to the party will keep you satiated for long hours. Protein will make you full and there would hardly be any room for everything that’s there on the table. As we all know, protein increases the level of satiety hormones, reduces appetite, thereby also reducing the hunger hormone. By including a protein-rich diet, you boost satiety hormones and keep the hunger hormones in check, which in turn means that you will be less likely to binge and eat extra calories.
3. Look for protein-based Dishes: Since protein and fiber helps keep you full for long, look for protein-based dishes at the spread, like grilled chicken, tofu, paneer based dishes, or even fish.
4. Look for Healthy Options: Fruit smoothies, fresh fruits, vegetable trays are healthy options to fill your plate. Totally avoid processed and deep fried food.
5. Chew Slowly: Eating slowly can stop you from overeating. When you eat slowly, there are less chances that you will fall out of calorie deficit, and this way, you will feel full within 20 minutes.
6. Pick up a Small Plate to Serve Yourself: Make it a rule to never overfill the plate with food. Pick up a small plate, most preferably an 8-inch plate or lesser. Also, drink beverages from tall and narrow glasses.
7. Move Away from the Buffet Table: At the party scene, stay away from food station. It’s easy to lose all the will power when surrounded by delicious food and that too in a social gathering.
8. Don’t Pick Sugary Delights in the Beginning: Sugary things not only taste delicious, they can give a quick energy boost, but after the initial boost, the subsequent drop in blood sugar, will get you hungry in no time, increasing cravings for more food.
9. Try Water Preloading: Drink plenty of water at the party, to keep yourself hydrated and also to feel fuller so that there’s little room for unhealthy food. Come to think of it, water has zero calories, healthy, and will not take your weight up. Read more about water preloading in this post.
10. Make a Pact with your Friend: If you are partying with friends, make a pact with one of your friends to stop you from overindulging or overeating. You can thank your friend with a surprise gift if he/she succeeds.
11. Start with a Plate of Salad: If it’s possible, start with a bowl or plate of salad, it’s self explanatory!
12. Bottled Water instead of Soft Drinks: Water has zero calories whereas soft drinks and aerated beverages have loads of empty calories that can lead to weight gain.
13. Say no to Cocktails: Just like soft drinks, alcohol is also all about empty calories, but if you have to drink, drink from a tall and narrow glass, and limit its intake.
14. Chew on a Sugar-Free Gum: Chewing on a minty, sugar-free gum has multiple benefits – the chewing motion can work on the jaw muscles and help in reducing double chin, it can also keep appetite in check, prevent you from overeating, and also keep breath fresh and minty all the time.
Do you have any more tips that can prevent overindulging when someone wants to party? If yes, please do mention in the comments below 🙂