Leading a healthy life has become a necessity in today’s time, what with the pandemic still raging, and we all should agree that the foundation of health is based on eating right and maintaining the right body fat percentage because obesity can be counted as the root cause for many lifestyle diseases and it’s important to lose weight not only to fit into clothes better, to reduce the risk of diseases, as well as for general well being. Since weight loss is a process, there are a lot of factors that affect it directly or indirectly, and it’s important to take these factors into consideration when trying to lose weight. Also, there are weight loss tips and tricks that definitely work and you should absolutely try them out, and in this post, we have listed out 14 weight loss tips that you know would definitely work.
1. Eat Right, Not Less: To lose weight, it’s important to be on a diet plan that encourages you to eat healthy and enough calories, and also a diet that can be continued throughout the life and if you are planning to crash diet, it’s really a bad idea because this diet is based on food deprivation and lowering calories by staying off food. Start on a weight loss diet such as the Rati Beauty diet on the Rati Beauty app that encourages you to eat healthy and delicious meals, is not based on the concept of food deprivation, and takes care of all your nutrient requirements, along with keeping you in calorie deficit so that you can drop extra pounds and burn fat consistently. You can check more details on the Rati Beauty app.
2. Drink More Water: Drinking more than 2 liters of water can boost weight loss a great deal by suppressing appetite, flushing out toxins, and speeding up the fat-burning process. Because when you are dehydrated, your brain starts sending the wrong signals and you might actually decipher those signals as hunger pangs. If you are not drinking enough water, there are more chances of you reaching out for unhealthy food and snacks to curb hunger quickly, when in fact you just require a plain glass of water. So, drink water throughout the water, glass by glass, and see how your cravings drastically reduce.
3. Cut out Refined Carbs: Do yourself a favour, and eliminate refined carbs completely from your diet. Refined carbs have empty calories that spike insulin, which is a hormone that also functions in a way that encourages storage of extra calories as fat in the body.
4. Eat More Veggies and Fruits: When you eat fruits and vegetables, you get nutrients and feel fuller in relatively fewer calories. Amp up the portions of vegetables and fruits in your daily diet. Check out the meals plans on the Rati Beauty app for more details.
5. Increase Protein Intake: High protein foods in your meals keep you fuller for longer, help burn calories, and builds lean muscle. More muscle means you get to burn more calories. Here’s a list of good sources of protein that you can include in your diet.
6. Increase Fiber Intake: A high-fiber keeps you fuller for longer, prevents insulin spikes, and keeps appetite in check. Read about “12 Handy Tips to Add More Fiber to your Diet.”
7. Get Active, Be on your Feet Through the Day: Being on your feet throughout the day keeps the fat-burning process alive and kicking and contrary to what many people believe, just one hour of gymming is never enough to lose weight, keep moving throughout the day and practice NEAT activities. NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis and is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight.
8. Avoid Processed and Junk Food: Have you noticed how you feel lighter, energetic after eating healthy food and lethargic and sluggish after eating junk food. It’s because highly-processed food come packed with a lot of empty calories that cause sharp rise in insulin and the subsequent slump leaves one sluggish and craving for more food. So, weed out refined carbs completely from your diet. Giving up maida/refined flour, white sugar, is a good place to start.
9. Cut Down White Sugar/White Rice: These have refined carbs that are devoid of any nutrients, and quickly cause blood sugar spikes are what make these white foods bad. By eliminating white foods like these from your diet, you get to pick healthy and nutrient-rich food. Most processed, refined white food is the leading cause of obesity all over the world. If you are serious about weight loss, then give up on white sugar and replace it with better options such as stevia leaves or jaggery. Likewise, brown rice is a better option for white rice.
10. Pick Fruits with Low Glycemic Index: Fruits with high glycemic index can cause insulin spikes which leads to storing of extra calories as fat in the body. Low glycemic fruits such as apples, berries, guava, pear do not cause sharp jumps in blood sugar and there are less chances of you gaining weight.
11. Cut Down Frequent Snacking: This is one of the major reasons why people struggle to lose weight. Stick to meal and snack routines and avoid mindless grazing and eating just because you are bored and having nothing to do, or worse, if you want to calm down the nerves. Avoid frequent snacking and it would become a lot easier to reach your goal weight.
12. Sleep for 7 Hours or More: When you have disturbed sleep at night or have slept less for 7 hours, you would have noticed that you woke up extremely hungry, in a cranky mood, and with a huge craving for high-fat and sugary foods. That’s because less sleep triggers the production of hunger hormone “ghrelin” and stress hormone cortisol, which all trigger a ravenous appetite and slow down metabolism and the fat-burning mechanism in the body. Get your 7 hours of sleep and you will wake up fresh without the appetite of a giant.
13. Find Ways to De-Stress: Studies have found a direct link between stress and weight gain, hence stress can become a bane in multiple ways – it can not only prevent weight loss, it can add extra pounds too. You can have literally nothing on your plate but if stress is on your mind, shedding extra fat layers can become quite difficult. Apart from lowering metabolism, the stress hormone “cortisol” increases appetite, cravings, and also directs the body to store fat around the belly region. The ability to burn fat also flattens out with increase in anxiety and stress. Read about “7 Ways To Beat Stress Related Weight Gain.”
14. Include HIIT in your Workout Routine: Want to get rid of belly fat? Get your shoes ready and practice HIIT. It refers to high-intensity interval training exercises which helps to burn fat in minimum time. It is a combination of high and medium intensity exercises where your body picks up more calories to burn without burning muscle. You can do HIIT exercises anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. If you are serious about fitness, including strength training and HIIT will give you the maximum weight loss benefits along with following a good diet. It puts your body into an “afterburn” process where it continues to burn calories long after you have finished exercising, isn’t that awesome news! Also, no equipment is required to do HIIT exercise and you can do it in the convenience and comfort of your home. Here’s a “7-Minute HIIT Routine” that you can do at home.