If you have been delaying getting on to the weight loss wagon just because you cannot hit the gym right now (not safe, no time, no energy are some common excuses), then it’s time to think outside the box, oops outside the gym, we mean. It’s a huge misconception that you have to workout in the gym in order to lose weight where in reality, workout forms just 20% in a successful weight loss formula, with 80% emphasis on a good diet. Not to undermine the effectiveness of workouts, they help boost metabolism, improve mood, and give you that amazing adrenaline rush, along with toning the body and giving it a lean look. The year gone by has taught that home workouts are just as effective as sweating it out in the gym. As we have mentioned above, though dieting remains the main factor which will help trim waistline and reach your goal weight, regular exercise does accelerate the pace of fat burning. You can in fact burn calories throughout the day by thinking outside of the gym by incorporating some smart ways into your daily routine. That’s why, we have listed out amazing ways to burn extra calories outside the gym.
1. Stand up From the Sitting Position Every 30 Minutes: Working for long hours, rooted before the laptop/computer, in the sitting position for hours at a stretch, can deactivate an essential fat-burning enzyme called lipoprotein lipase and stall its “fat-burning activity.” So, stand up, take a stroll around to reactive this fat-burning enzyme and also to boost a sluggish metabolism.
2. Fidgeting Legs While Sitting at the desk: Yes, you can burn up to 350 more calories doing absolutely nothing but just fidgeting your legs while sitting at the work desk or while watching TV.
3. Lower Down the Temperature on AC: When exposed to cold temperatures, the body starts to burn brown fat to regulate core temperature, so lowering the temperature on the AC would help a bit in burning extra calories and brown fat. But do try to sleep in comfy clothes at night and with the AC switched on to activate brown fat burning.
4. High-Intensity Interval Training Routine Once a Week: HIIT workouts are popular to burn fat when compared to cardio exercises such as walking or running on the treadmill because the body continues to burn calories because of increased oxygen consumption for up to 24 hours after the workout. HIIT also boosts enzymes that are responsible for fat burning and also decrease levels of fat-producing enzymes. HIIT exercises are great for busy women because they burn more fat and calories in less time, and can be done anywhere one wants. Here is a list of “7 Minute Fat Burning HIIT Exercises That you can Do at Home.”
5. NEAT activities: You would be burning a considerable amount of calories without even realizing or breaking a sweat by doing these “non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis routine on a daily basis and fret not, they are as basic as cooking your own food, washing the dishes, and walking the pet dog.
6. Switch the Work Desk for Standing Station: It’s a new concept that can make you healthy and keep lifestyle diseases such as type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases at bay. Switching regular work desk for a standing station can burn loads of calories too and a good way to strengthen the legs and core.
7. Include Thermogenic Food in your Daily Diet: Eating thermogenic food increases energy expenditure and results in increased calorie consumption. Cayenne pepper, protein, eggs make the body utilize more calories, and that way, you can burn extra calories.
8. Practice Basic Stretching: Do not underestimate the power of stretching because you don’t get to break a sweat doing an elaborate stretching routine at home – it boosts metabolism, improves blood circulation, and burn quite a lot of calories in the process.
9. By Doing Basic Household Chores: By starting on a healthy weight diet such as on Rati Beauty app and doing just household chores can help you drop one kg per week, and that too without hitting the gym or doing intense activity, but do remember that each activity should be done for a minimum of 30 minutes. Find out more about these basic household chores here.
10. Eating Healthy Fats Can Help you Slim Down: Healthy fats are an indispensable part of a healthy weight loss diet and that’s because they boost metabolism, stimulate the fat-burning process, and reduce inflammation in the body. Here’s a list of “Foods with Healthy Fats that Keep you Thin.”
11. Activate Brown Fat: As we have mentioned above, brown fat helps to regulate body temperature and found typically around the sides of the neck, upper arms, shoulder, upper back area, between the shoulder blades, and the side of the upper spine. To burn extra calories, it would be a good idea to find ways to activate brown fat because it transfers energy from food into heat form. When activated, brown fat tends to burn 20% of food intake. And we tell you exactly how to activate the brown fat in this post.
12. Take Stairs instead of Escalator: It may sound cliche, but take the stairs whenever you can because 15 minutes of climbing stairs will boost your metabolism, make you more active and tone your leg muscles (thighs, glutes and calves). It might feel like you are only working your leg muscles but be assured that your whole body is active while you are climbing up and down, and burning loads of calories in the process.
13. Get Enough Vitamin D: It’s a known fact that vitamin D deficiency triggers fat storage and prevents weight loss. Appropriate vitamin D level also prevents the formation of fat cells. A healthy diet along with regular exercise and optimum vitamin D levels in the body will help you lose considerable amount of weight, so wear those shoes and get some sunshine to get some natural vitamin D.
14. By Sleeping for 7 Hours or More: With sleep deprivation, the body increases the production of stress hormone cortisol which in turn triggers appetite and encourages fat storage. Studies have established that the body needs enough rest at night to torch calories the next day, and sleeping for less than 7 hours throws all essential hormone and functions out of whack, so sleep well and sleep tight at night.
15. Take a Minimum 10,000 Steps Every Day: Making each step count and make it to a target of 10,000 will ensure you have been on your feet through the major part of the day. So, get a fitness band and walk those necessary 10,000 steps each day.
16. Drink More H2O: Water is a calorie-free beverage that boosts metabolism, reduces cravings, and boosts the whole fat-burning process. Dehydration tends to affect the release of human growth hormone (HGH) which binds to the fat cells, breaking down stored fat, and mobilizing them. Also, the functioning of lipase enzyme which is necessary to metabolize fat slumps down with dehydration. Another reason why you should drink more water – the body cannot properly differentiate between hunger and thirst signals and often tend to confuse “thirst” for hunger, and turn to food to curb hunger pangs, adding unnecessary calories that are hard to burn off at the end of the day. Drink a full glass of water upon waking and sip on water through the day (if you need to set reminders, please do so!) Also, keep a bottle handy at all times and keep refilling it through the day to burn calories through the day.
Hope these tips would help burning extra calories an easy process.