Everyone knows that following a good diet and working out would lead to weight loss, but it’s quite confusing on what kind of diet to follow and what type of workout to do when there’s a considerable amount of weight to shed. When someone wants to lose half their body weight, in order to get healthy and fit, the key is to stay away from fad diets and get on the right kind of diet and be consistent throughout, and of course be patient enough, because losing half the body weight does take time because just the way you hadn’t gained weight overnight, you would not lose it in a week or a month. But the good news is; it IS POSSIBLE! Let’s find out how!
1. Follow the Right Kind of Weight Loss Diet: Weight loss should start from the kitchen and not in the gym. It’s imperative to follow a diet which encourages you to eat healthy food to nourish the body and get it into a fat-burning mode. That’s why, the Rati Beauty Diet encourages to eat the right kind of food and without starving all through the day. Find out how scores of people have lost oodles of weight by following healthy diet on the Rati Beauty app.
2. Cut Back on Sugar and Added Carbs: The best and fastest way to lose weight is by cutting down white sugar, added sugar, and refined carbs. Sugars and refined carbs contain a lot of empty calories and in order to lose weight, you need to cut down calories and burn more calories. Avoid adding sugar in tea/coffee, steer clear of soda, packaged juice, biscuits, cake, chocolate, candies, chocolates (dark chocolate is okay :P). You can use stevia to sweeten things up instead.
3. Include a Protein Source in Every Meal: Protein not only promotes muscle growth, it also boosts weight loss. High-protein meals also reduce food cravings by 60% as protein keeps you fuller and satisfied, keeping cravings for unhealthy food at bay. You can consume protein shakes, eggs, lentils, fish, chicken breast, tofu, etc. You will need 50-100gm of protein per day depending on your body weight, and activity level. There are tons of delicious healthy protein-packed meals that you can make to increase your protein level on the Rati Beauty app. Consuming enough protein will also increase your strength and stamina, which means you can burn more calories during your workout sessions!
4. Load up on Veggies: Feel free to eat vegetables, they contain minerals, fiber and vitamins that keep you healthy and glowing. Broccoli, bell peppers, cauliflower, beans, radish, eggplant, celery, cabbage are some low-calorie vegetables that you can eat as much as you want. Read about “9 Interesting Ways to Eat More Vegetables” for Weight Loss in this post.
5. Lift Weights: Though cardio is an exercise of choice to burn calories, it’s a fact that lifting weights will help you shed weight faster. You can either join a gym or lift weights at home by watching fitness videos. It is recommended to exercise 4-5 per week. You can burn higher calories by performing 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercises and 20 minutes of weight training. If going gym is not an option, then follow HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts on the Rati Beauty app. Also running, jogging, swimming, cycling are extremely healthy and beneficial to shed extra pounds.
6. Drink Enough of H2O: We often forget to drink this inexpensive liquid that helps boost weight loss in so many ways – it improves metabolism, keeps hunger pangs in check, and above all, hydrates the body. So, ditch fizzy drinks, soda, packaged juices and replace them with water! Just think about the amount of calories you would be saving every time you take a sip of water! Drinking enough water aids in boosting your metabolism, it detoxifies the body and removes body waste. Strangely, to prevent water retention, you need to drink more water! This will also help you to drop off extra pounds of water weight. Tip- Drink one glass of water right before a meal, water acts as an appetite suppressant and saves around 72 calories every meal! Do the math girl and count the calories you saved at the end of the day!
7. Replace Regular Chai with Green Tea: Green tea boosts weight loss by supplying antioxidants. According to research, green tea can boost the fat burning process, which can help you shed weight. It improves metabolism and induces your body to burn energy. Though green tea does promote weight loss, do not consume more than two cups during a day because it might cause dehydration.
8. Eat Healthy Fats: Going extremely low on carbs without including healthy fats is a big mistake! The body makes use of healthy fats to boost metabolism and it’s great for eyes, skin, and hair too, but the key is to consume healthy fats in moderation for best results. You can consume healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, butter, egg yolk, walnuts, almonds. You can prepare your meals using these oils without hesitation.
9. Eat Local Produce: Fruits and vegetables that are available locally tend to retain their nutrients better because they are fresh than the ones that have been imported. There’s a lot of hype around “imported superfoods,” without taking into consideration demography. Indian food is rich in nutrition and we have local superfoods that are full of nutrition and boost weight loss. So, pick spinach instead of kale, coconut instead of avocado, and so on. In fact, here’s a list of “30 Inexpensive Indian Superfoods you Should be Eating Often for Weight Loss.”
10. Give up Processed Food: The first thing you need to create a calorie deficit is to give up on processed food that is loaded with sugar, salt, and transfat which have huge amount of empty calories in them and quickly piles on calories. Eat whole foods, fruits, and vegetables to boost weight loss.
11. Stir up Metabolism: It’s the mechanism which torches up calories inside the body. Eating the right kind of food can help stimulate and recharge the metabolism. Here’s how you can supercharge metabolism and accelerate weight loss.
12. Strengthen the gut: A robust gut is an important key that can unlock your weight loss goal. The healthy bacteria that reside in your intestines help to fight pathogens and unhealthy bacteria. Taking prebiotics and probiotics will help maintain the healthy bacteria in your gut, and as a result, fat-burning hormones stay in balance and accelerate the weight loss process. Read “How Prebiotics Can Help you Lose Weight and Reduce Belly Fat” in this post.
13. Cook your own Meals: You will save quite a lot of money as well as calories when you prepare your own food. When you cook all by yourself, you have complete control over the amount of oil and salt in your food. It will also save you from the unhealthy taste enhancers such as monosodium glutamate (ajinomoto) that are not only high in calories, they disrupt the hormonal balance and cause metabolic disorders. Also, the relatively plain sandwich that you may order have an unusual amount of mayonnaise and other calorie-rich condiments to add taste to your food. Check out Rati Beauty diet for delicious meal ideas that are healthy and a delight to the palate.
14. Sleep for 7 Hours: Not getting enough sleep can destroy your weight loss goals by slowing down your metabolism and preventing the body from burning calories. Sleeping for 5 hours or less can lead to weight gain, particularly around the belly area. Also, low sleeping hours will also activate the level of hunger hormone “ghrelin” and you will wake up “hangry” in the morning. So, please do not compromise on your sleep at all.t
15. Weed out Transfat: This toxic ingredient is commonly found in fried food, packaged baked items, even margarine. Check this post on “15 Transfat Food Items you should Avoid to Lose Weight Effectively.”
16. Be on your Feet: To boost metabolism and to burn off calories, mandatorily take out at least one hour from your day to engage in physical activity. Simple exercises like brisk walking, jogging in the park will also do a great deal for your body. Working out at the gym of course comes highly recommended. Also, practicing NEAT activities (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight.
Hope you enjoy your fitness journey and follow these tips, stay lean, stay strong!