We have been reiterating the importance of sleeping for at least 7 hours each night to help the body to tap into fat stores and to keep stress hormone cortisol and hunger hormone “ghrelin” low. A good night’s leep would also be beneficial in increasing the functioning of fat-burning enzymes and hormones. Sleep deprivation has been strongly tied to weight gain, particularly around the tummy area. So, if you want to get rid of belly fat, all you have to do is to sleep tight at night! It would also be prudent to avoid these 8 bedtime mistakes that might prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep and block weight loss from happening. So, do correct them asap.
1. Drinking Coffee Just Before Bedtime: Caffeine content in the coffee has the ability to keep us awake through the major part of the night, disturbing the sleep cycle, and depriving the body of proper rest and recovery. Have your last cup of coffee at least 6 hours before your sleep time to sleep soundly.
2. Sleeping in an Uncomfortable Position: Some studies point out that your sleeping position can lead to weight gain, but we are talking about an uncomfortable position or bed disturbing your sleep pattern. Always sleep on a comfortable bed, in comfy clothes, and in a conducive environment.
3. Exposure to Blue Light: Electronic gadgets such as phone and tablets emit blue light that have been found to interfere with the circadian rhythm of the body, and hamper the quality of sleep. So, do try to keep away all gadgets at least one hour before bedtime.
4. Eating on the Bed: We know you love binge watching your favorite series, on the bed with pizza slices or a bowl of pasta in hand, but this habit is definitely bad for your weight loss goals since you can easily overeat while watching TV and the insulin spikes triggered by eating these foods would keep you awake through the night.
5. Eating Dinner Late into the Night: As we have mentioned above, insulin spikes from the late dinner would prevent sleep from showing up at the right time. Also, heartburn, indigestion, and weight gain are common outcomes of having a late dinner. Do try to finish dinner at least 4 hours before your nap time.
6. Frequent Snacking at Night: We don’t blame you for feeling ravenous at bedtime, but you absolutely need to put a halt to night-time snacking. Read about “10 Clever Ways to Stop Eating Late at Night to Avoid Weight Gain.”
7. Having Sugary Delights Before Hitting Bed: If you have been saving that delicious piece of lava cake to give a sweet little treat to yourself at night, then that’s a bad idea because sugary delights can cause sharp insulin spikes and when this blood-sugar regulating hormone crashes, you would definitely reach out for more food.
8. Exercising Too Late into the Night: There’s no doubt exercising has amazing benefits – it keeps you fit and burns fat, but exercising just before bedtime may lead to insomnia and the increase in heart rate, the adrenaline rush, and rise in core temperature will keep you awake in the night. Try to squeeze in exercise at least one hour before bedtime for successful weight loss.
Apart from avoiding these bedtime mistakes, do check out the weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app to shed extra weight successfully.