There is more than one way in which castor oil benefits hair; with its abundant anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it can effectively fight dandruff and clear scalp of infections. Castor oil also moisturizes and conditions hair, reducing breakage and split ends. But the most interesting feature of castor oil is its ability to prevent hair fall and boost new hair growth. Castor oil application is considered as the most natural way to combat hair fall and trigger new hair growth, something people use to make scanty eyebrows and eyelashes thick and bushy! But due to its thick and viscous consistency, application of castor oil directly on the scalp and hair is a bit tricky, and that’s why we have listed out 8 ways to use castor oil to boost hair growth.
Why Castor Oil is Absolutely Great For Hair?
1. This oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, which is a fatty acid, that can penetrate deeply into the scalp boosting faster hair growth. Ricinoleic acid has anti-microbial properties as well, which helps fight dandruff.
2. It has loads of hydrating and moisturizing properties, and thus can reduce breakage by strengthening the hair.
3. Castor oil increases blood circulation and increases blood flow to the hair follicles and therefore it is highly beneficial in treating alopecia and hair fall.
4. Castor oil helps replenish the scalp’s natural oils and undo the damages caused by harsh chemical hair products that can sometime block hair growth.
5. Castor oil has antioxidants that increase keratin level in the scalp and hair follicles, reducing frizz as well.
8 Ways To Use Castor Oil For Hair Growth:
1. Egg, Honey, and Castor Oil Mask: Take one tablespoon honey, two tablespoon castor oil and one egg. Mix all the ingredients well to form a paste and then apply this mask on your hair. Leave on for about an hour, then shampoo and condition as usual to add softness and shine to your dull and dry hair.
2. Hot Oil Massage: Use castor oil for hot oil treatment and scalp massage to stimulate hair growth and keep your hair soft and manageable. Warm the required quantity of oil. Do this by placing the container of castor oil in a glass of warm water. Pour warm oil over the hair and scalp, and allow the oil to seep into the scalp and hair for 20 to 30 minutes before shampooing. For treatment of dandruff or eczema, use a comb and gently comb the scalp while the oil is setting. This loosens flaky skin and provides extra hydration to dry scalp. if you have fine or weak/brittle hair, it’s a good idea to mix castor oil with a lighter oil so that it’ll be easier to wash out later.
3. Castor Oil Hair Spray: Mix ¼ cup of water with ¼ cup of castor oil in a container. Shake well and use this mixture as a last rinse for your hair. This mixture provides your locks with a quick antioxidant boost.
4. Glycerin and Castor Oil Mask: After washing your hair, put several drops of this oil on your hair, and rub it through with some glycerin. Wait several minutes and rinse in warm water. You will have a head full of soft, radiant hair.
5. Mustard Oil and Castor Oil Spray: Mix an equal amount of castor oil, mustard oil, and olive oil in a glass bottle. Shake them well and apply this mix into your hair and scalp. Wrap your hair up in a towel and let it set for 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual. This is an excellent hair tonic that improves the condition of your hair and scalp.
6. Onion Juice and Castor Oil Hair Mask: This mask would strengthen and moisturise hair, along with boosting hair growth. Take 4-5 tablespoon of onion juice. Add 2 tablespoons of castor oil and mix. Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair and gently massage in circular motions for 3-4 minutes. Wash using a shampoo after two hours.
7. Honey, Vitamin E Oil, and Castor Oil Hair Mask: Take 2 tbsp of castor oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, honey, and squeeze a few drops of vitamin E oil. Mix them well and massage this mixture into your scalp gently. You can also steam your hair for better penetration. Wash your hair after 1 hour with a mild shampoo.
8. Olive Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, and Castor Oil Hair Mask: Take 1 tbsp of castor oil, 1 tbsp of olive oil and add 2 capsules of evening primrose oil and massage this solution on your scalp twice in a week.
And oh one important non-hair related castor oil tip, massaging the body with castor oil helps in relieving nerve inflammation and swollen muscles.