Nowadays, we hear a lot about different ways to “boost one’s immunity” to ward off germs, bacteria, and viruses, and one of the most effective ways to do that, is by strengthening the gut. But there’s more to the gut than providing the body a strong defense mechanism to fight germs and prevent diseases. When the gut health is strong, it not only keeps physical health in robust condition, it takes down stress level, improves mood, and cuts down the risk of depression. That’s because the gut is also called as the “second brain” of the body because there are 100 million neurons in our gut and they are directly connected to the brain. Therefore, maintaining a healthy gut is of supreme importance if one wants to lose weight, especially cut down belly fat, because when the gut flora is not healthy, it can cause hormonal imbalances, increase stress levels, and raise inflammation in the body – and all of these factors lead to weight gain and obesity. People often do not pay much importance to the digestive system – assuming it’s only role is to digest food and provide energy, but studies have revealed that your gut runs a majority of functions, from absorbing nutrients from the food you consume, to keep the immunity high, to fight infections, prevent weight gain, and even combat depression. But did you know the key to a healthy gut lies in the well being of its microbial flora, now let’s get into the details of how to improve gut health. As we have mentioned previously in the post, prebiotics and probiotics are two ways to rectify the imbalance in gut flora, and in this post, we will explore on how prebiotics can help you lose weight and reduce belly fat. So, you better start thinking about ways to keep your gut healthy, and prebiotics and probiotics through dietary sources and food is one way to make gut happy.
Functions of Immune System:
The immune system is body’s natural defense mechanism that protects an individual against disease. It’s functions are following:
1. Fighting invading pathogens, germs, and infections.
2. Removing toxins, excess fluid from the body.
3. Formation of white blood cells and antibodies to fight infection.
4. Promotes weight loss.
5. Strong metabolism.
How Prebiotics and Probiotics Strengthen the Gut and Help with Weight Loss?
The healthy bacteria that reside in your intestines help to fight pathogens and unhealthy bacteria. Taking prebiotics and probiotics will help maintain the healthy bacteria in your gut. Yogurt, curd, and fermented foods help to maintain the perfect balance of gut. Whole grains provide the necessary prebiotics. A healthy human body has 500 to 1000 different species of bacteria in their digestive tract. They constitute the gut flora or microbiome. Comparatively, bacterial species are more beneficial to the body because these bacterial colonies which run up to 40 trillion cells are necessary for the human body to run smoothly and that’s the reason they are called “friendly bacteria.” Prebiotics and probiotics boost metabolism and keep stress hormone and other important hormones in check.
How Do you Know the Gut is not Functioning Normally?
1. Frequent diarrhea.
3. Sugar cravings.
4. Weight gain.
6. Autoimmune disorders.
7. Frequent cramping/bloating/abdominal pain.
What are the Functions of Gut?
Our gut is home to more than 100 trillion microorganisms and they help the human body to function efficiently by boosting immune system, by keeping the digestive system robust, along with regulating blood pressure, and important hormones. A disruption in this microbial flora or replacement of good bacteria with bad ones can disrupt normal functioning of the body, leading to infections and diseases, and also weight gain. It’s kind of impossible for anyone to survive without the presence of gut microbiome because a healthy gut runs the main show in human body. These are some of the functions of the gut:
1. Lactobacilli bacterial species promote HDL cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol levels.
2. Improves brain health by helping produce chemicals in the brain. Serotonin which is an anti-depressant neurotransmitter is made majorly in the gut. As mentioned above, the gut is directly linked to the brain with millions of neurons.
3. Boosts Immunity/Fights Infections: The healthy bacteria that reside in your intestines help to fight pathogens and unhealthy bacteria. Taking prebiotics and probiotics will help maintain the healthy bacteria in your gut. Yogurt, curd, and fermented foods help to maintain the perfect balance of gut. Whole grains provide the necessary prebiotics. A healthy gut flora will improve your immunity and keep harmful pathogens away.
4. Reduces inflammation in the body, regulates important hormones, and prevents obesity.
5. Reduces stress, depression.
Why Prebiotics are Important for Weight Loss?
Prebiotics are non-digestible carbs which are consumed by the gut flora. While a lot of people lay more stress on probiotics compared to prebiotics, certain studies have revealed that prebiotics have a larger role to play than probiotics when it comes to weight loss.
1. Prebiotics can inhibit the absorption of calories into the body and prevent obesity and weight gain. 2.Regular consumption of prebiotics helps to reduce the percentage of body fat too.
3. Also, prebiotics complement the activity of probotics and help the healthy bacteria to thrive.
4. Boosts better absorption of nutrients into the body.
That’s why Rati Beauty Weight Loss program uses prebiotic-rich natural food in a lot of their recipes. Do check them.
List of Prebiotics of Food Items: