Weight loss tips nowadays have boiled down to “don’t eat this, don’t eat that.” Losing weight can be quite challenging, but with effective strategies and the right diet plan, this process can be expedited. People often wonder if they would lose any weight by employing certain highly hyped tips and tricks they come across randomly, but hey, you would definitely lose weight if you are doing these things:
1. You follow a Nutrient-Dense Diet that teaches you to be in Calorie Deficit: Weight loss would only materialize by maintaining a calorie deficit and placing 80% importance on diet and 20% on exercise. And so, dieting is the best way to get lean and fit. Rati, the owner of IMBB, lost all her post-pregnancy weight by following the amazing meal plans on the Rati Beauty Diet, and scores of other people have lost weight as well following the same, download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Eat Protein with Each Meal: When you consume protein, it increases the levels of the satiety hormone “leptin,” curbs appetite, keeps you fuller for longer, and also increases thermogenesis in the body which means we get to burn more calories. Since protein helps to build muscle, more calories are torched even at rest. So, make a conscious effort to amp up protein and include one protein source in every meal. If you are vegetarian and cannot have eggs or chicken, here’s a list of “14 Inexpensive Plant-Based Protein Sources” for weight loss.
3. You Exercise Consistently: As we have mentioned above, weight loss is all about 80% diet and 20% exercise, and doing regular exercise does help to accelerate the pace of fat burning. From hitting the gym, doing yoga, to even brisk walking – every form of exercise where you get to move the body, is great for losing weight. There are multiple benefits of exercising consistently – it burns calories and burns fat, improves mood and reduces stress, improves overall health, boosts metabolism, and most importantly, tones and makes the body fit.
4. Make Lifestyle Changes As Well: Weight loss and weight maintenance both require lifestyle changes. Along with following a diet program and exercising, making lifestyle changes accelerates the pace at which you drop weight. When you make these lifestyle changes such as sleeping for 7 hours, leading an active lifestyle, quitting alcohol, etc., you would not only look better, you would feel better, and there would be lesser chances of failure. Read about “17 Small Lifestyle Habits That Will Help you with Weight Loss.”
5. Have Learnt to Identify and Eliminate Transfat: Make sure “transfat” is out of from your life because research has shown that transfat not only leads to weight gain, it tends to mobilize fat from other areas of the body to the belly area! Transfat is artificially made from vegetable oil by a process called hydrogenation where hydrogen molecules are added to the oil. This is done to increase the shelf life and solidy the oil, and make it more appetizing and suitable for frying. Margarine, frozen pizza, cakes, non-dairy creamer, etc. have transfat in them, so stay away from such stuff.
6. Do not Practice Emotional/Stress Eating: Stress eating or emotional eating is a situation where one eats to feel good and pleasant, to cope up with trauma, to relieve stress, rather than to satisfy hunger. The food that emotional eaters choose are usually high-fat, high sugar, calorie-rich food full of transfat and other toxic ingredients, extremely unhealthy. When you eat such food, your brain rewards you by releasing “feel-good chemicals” such as endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine. Such feel-good chemicals makes one feel happy by elevating mood, and calming down nerves. You start to depend more and more on such unhealthy food to deal with jittery nerves. In short, people resort to emotional eating to feel better, relieve stress, and cope up with traumatic situations and it’s important to detach food with all kinds of emotions and find comfort in them. Don’t turn to comfort foods when you are stressed out, anxious, or plain bored. Find other ways to de-stress – listening to music, going out on walks, dancing, yoga, reading, all are effective stress busters
7. Have Cut Down on Added Sugar: You can shed weight at a much rapid rate by eliminating added sugar that can make it way through packaged fruit juices, cookies, biscuits, candies, junk food, processed food, etc. Sugar has a lot of empty calories that causes a sharp jump in blood sugar and spike in insulin (which is also a hormone that encourages fat storage). Once you cut back on sugar, your weight will start to drop, and the bonus – the texture of skin will improve as well.
8. Cut Down on Processed Food: Extremely high on empty calories, along with high sodium, artificial flavours, sugar, transfat, and other unhealthy ingredients, processed food is bad for your weight loss and overall health as well.
9. Practicing NEAT: Remaining active and on your feet for most part of the day will ensure calories are getting torched at a steady pace. Being on your feet throughout the day helps in burning calories and keeps metabolism robust. One hour of gymming is never enough to lose weight, keep moving throughout the day and practice NEAT activities. NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis and is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight.
10. Cut Out Sugary Beverages and Soft Drinks Completely: Summers are here and we often seek refuge in soft drinks and sugary beverages to quench our thirst because excessive heat and humidity makes chilled soft drinks and sugary beverages irresistible, but make no mistake, these beverages are loaded with sugar and empty calories and can literally drown your dreams to look lean and fit. There’s nothing better than water people, whatever season it might be. Other options can be chaach, spiced buttermilk, and lemonades at home using natural sweeteners like stevia. Additionally, whipping up a sattu sharbat will not only keep you cool, it would also accelerate the fat-burning process as well with its high protein content.
11. Delete Food Ordering Apps: Ordering food through apps is quite literally addictive, so it would be a good idea, to delete all food-ordering apps right now. Because of the extreme convenience with which you can get food (read “junk food”) through such apps, ordering breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, can become an addiction and prevent you from losing any weight. Keeping such apps on your phone may tempt you to give into cravings and order food from outside often. Limit eating out to once a week and you will see the weight dropping with completely home-cooked food.
12. Eat Without Distractions: One of the prerequisites to lose weight is to eat mindfully – eat without any distractions, which means switch off the TV, keep away the phone, and eat in peace so that once the satiety hormone kicks in, you can keep away the fork and spoon to avoid consuming extra calories. Read about “9 Mindful Eating Hacks to Eat Right and Lose Weight.”
13. Sleeping For 7 Hours: Get Enough Sleep, we cannot begin to tell you how magical good sleep can prove to be, especially if you are trying to lose weight. Sleep deprivation not only slows down metabolism, it also throws essential fat-burning hormones out of whack and dips metabolism level. Less number of sleeping hours increases hunger hormone “ghrelin,’ and lowers satiety hormone “leptin” – as a result, you are constantly hungry and wake up with a ravenous appetite and unhealthy cravings the next morning. Sleep for at least 7 hours each night and that will help you lose weight better.
14. Portion Control: Portion control is an essential aspect, not only to lose weight but also to maintain optimum health and to prevent diseases such as type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Read about “10 tips to Practice Portion Control on a Diet.”
So people, you would definitely lose weight if you follow these above-mentioned tips.